Sunday, April 4, 2010

What are you saying?


The Zen Master Munan had only one successor. His name was Shoju. When Munan was getting old he called Shoju in to see him.
"Shoju, "he said, "I am getting old and as far as I know , Shoju, you are the only one who will cary on this teaching. Here is a book, this book was handed to me by my teacher, to him from his teacher for seven generations. I also have added many points according to my understanding. You will succeed me, and I am now passing the book to you."
Shoju declined to accept the book. "I have received your teaching without writing and am satisfied. I have no need for the book. Perhaps you should keep it."
"Even so," said Munan "you should take the book as a symbol of my teaching, this has been so for seven generations." And he passed the book to Shju.
Shoju threw it into the fire.
"What are you doing!" Shouted Munan.
"What are you saying!" Shouted Shoju back.
Koan from "Zen Flesh and Zen Bones"
Dogen says the rocks and the mountains teach the Dharma, did that book burn?

No comments:

Post a Comment