Monday, April 19, 2010

A Mind of Resentment


Shenhui said to his master Huineng, “Master when you meditate do you see or not?”


Huineng, then responded by striking Shenhui three times on the head with his wisp.

“When I hit you does it hurt or not?” said Huineng.

“It hurts and yet it doesn’t,” said Shenhui.

“I see and yet I don’t”’ said Huineng.

“How do you see and not see at the same time,” said Shenhui.

“What I see are my own failings, and what I don’t see are other people’s right and wrong, good or bad. As for you, if it doesn’t hurt, you have no feeling, like wood or stone. If it dose hurt you have a mind of resentment, just like the common people,” Huineng said. Seeing and not seeing are the simultaneous holding of two positions, feeling and not feeling pain belong to the realm of generation and extinction.

Shenhui felt embarrassed and bowed to his master.

   The master strikes us every day, in words deeds and in the darkness of our minds.. the entire universe is waiting for us to see and not see. Closing your eyes is of little help.

No comments:

Post a Comment